Why We Gain Fat
Despite increasing awareness about diets and health, we are experiencing record setting levels of obesity. So, whats happening here?
People gain weight and store fat for many reasons. Diet, of course, has a lot to do with it. intake along with refined sugar is higher than it has ever been, and much of it is now cleverly labeled as low-fat or low-carb, and even marketed as a health food. To replace fats and carbohydrates, many diet products are filled with synthetic ingredients that the body doesnt know how to absorb. This can lead to nutrient deficiencies, inflammation, and weight gain. Then theres the issue of fast food, which is also largely responsible for the obesity epidemic.
Another fat-gain culprit is an increase in food intake and a decrease in activity levels. People eat too much and dont move enough, or if they do move, it isnt for long enough. Exercise has come to be a thing that people do, not a natural part of everyday life. People view it as a hobby, instead of a necessity. When movement ceases to be a part of daily living, metabolism slows and fat storage becomes more of a default setting.
Bottom line: We gain fat when our body isnt sensitive to insulin as a result of an excessively high-carb diet or a diet rich in refined and processed foods.
Drinks In A Paleo Diet
Drinks are essential for the hydration of your body. Water stands as the ultimate drink for hydration. Apart from the most critical drink, water two other beverages which you can include are:
- Tea: Black tea without sugar is healthy. It has antioxidants and various nutritional compounds, beneficial for our body.
- Coffee: Caffeine in coffee has loads of nutritional benefits for all. However, overconsumption of coffee can lead to various health hazards. Therefore, you should take it in moderation.
Paleo Diet Shopping Tips
Youre going to have to make some adjustments when shopping for food. Dont stress! Heres what you need to know when youre at the grocery store trying to stock the shelves of your Paleo pantry!
1. Buy fresh, lean meats with no hormones or antibiotics.
2. Buy Grass-Fed & Organic versions of foods like meats, poultry, and eggs. If these arent in your budget, grain-fed will work too.
3. When shopping for fish, choose wild-caught fish over farmed
4. Opt for skinless, and pasture raised chicken and turkey
5. Pick fruit wisely! All fruit is allowed on the paleo diet, but if youre trying to lose weight its best to stay away from fruits with a ton of sugar like bananas, pineapple & watermelon
6. Stock up on nutrient-dense vegetables like kale and broccoli, but go easy on the potatoes-both Idaho & sweet should be consumed in moderation
7. Make friends with RAW nuts & seeds without a sweet maple syrup gloss. Add them to salads, muffins, or let them stand alone & eat as a snack.
*Just remember-no peanuts. Theyre technically a legume & not approved on the Paleo diet!
8. Speaking of legumes, say goodbye to lentils, peas, chickpeas, and beans. Theyre also on the Paleo diet No List!
9. Cook with healthy oils that add the right kind of fat to your diet like Olive, Avocado, and Coconut Oil-Stay away from vegetable, canola, and peanut oils
Recommended Reading: Dr Kellyann Bone Broth Diet Reviews
Eating When You Are In Remission
While theres no cure for UC, you may experience periods of remission. During this time, youll be symptom-free and your UC wont interfere with your daily life.
Theres no definitive way to avoid flare-ups forever, but you can prolong your remission periods by maintaining a diverse and nutrient-rich diet that does not include trigger foods.
To stay symptom-free, it may be helpful to follow one of the diets that other individuals with UC find successful, as well as introduce new foods slowly and stay hydrated.
However, its important to consult with your doctor or dietician before making any changes to your diet.
- fiber-rich foods like oats, beans, and nuts
- healthy fats, including olive oil and nut and seed butter
- protein, including lean meats, fish, and eggs
- whole fruits and vegetables
- whole wheat bread, pastas, and brown rice
- vitamin D supplements
Low Blood Sugar Levels
You must take precautions before adopting the paleo diet if you use insulin. If you follow the diet while on insulin, you may suffer from hypoglycemia. The primary issue is, blood sugar levels may go down.
While on a low-carb diet, you require less medication. Therefore, you should change your dosages to prevent low blood sugar. Ideally, you should consult your doctor before you start a paleo diet.
Also Check: Diet For Your Blood Type
What To Eat And Avoid To Manage Ulcerative Colitis
To control Ulcerative Colitis, you can start making some simple changes in your lifestyles and food habits which are mentioned below, along with the diet plan for Ulcerative Colitis patients mentioned above:
Why We Have Hunger Cravings
Hunger cravings are a major component in a cycle of carbohydrate addiction, excess glucose storage, and an inability to lose weight.
Appetite is regulated by two hormones: leptin and ghrelin. Again, we find hormones at the root cause of an issue that is problematic for many. We are taught that we should eat when we are hungry. However, what happens if your appetite signals are getting crossed, and you feel hungry even when you shouldnt?
Leptin is a hormone produced by fat cells to signal that you are not hungry. Ghrelin, on the other hand, tells you when you are hungry. Together, these hormones are meant to ensure that you do not starve and that you do not overeat. However, as is true with most hormones, they can be prone to over or under reaction.
While leptins job is to tell you when you are not hungry, receptors for leptin can become leptin-resistant, and when you should receive a message to stop eating, you get nothing.
Bottom line: Appetite is regulated by hormones that can over or under produce in response to stress, fatigue, and other issues. True hunger isnt always reflected by food cravings or the desire to eat.
Recommended Reading: What To Eat When Dieting
Finding The Best Paleo Approved Foods
The paleo diet is based around what presumably hunt-gatherers ate in the paleolithic era.
Due to the nature of eliminating certain foods that don’t meet the paleo criteria, it is important to understand what foods can be had and what foods ought to be eliminated with this lifestyle. See the video below for a quick and comprehensive look into this topic.
Eating When You Are In A Flare
Even when you do everything right, its still possible to experience a flare-up of your UC symptoms
- frequent diarrhea
- rectal bleeding
Thats why its important to understand which foods you may want to limit when experiencing a flare-up, and which foods may help you get the nutrients you need without making your symptoms worse.
Also Check: Diet To Lose Weight Quickly
Paleo 7 Day Meal Plan
Out of stock
COMING SOON! 7 Day Meal Plan filled with healthy recipes for a paleo diet! If you are looking to eat an unprocessed, healthy diet rich in wholefoods, then you may want to explore the paleo diet.
Paleo is a diet based on the types of foods presumed to have been eaten by early humans, consisting mainly of meat, fish, vegetables, and fruit, and excluding dairy, grains and processed foods.
This 7 day paleo meal plan is filled with nutritious food and recipe ideas!
Is Paleo Right For You
Because paleo naturally emphasizes eating grass-fed protein, moderate carb balance, a mix healthy fat , and decreases the general number of processed foods, this style of eating is typically best for less active individuals looking to lose weight.
Going paleo has also been linked to reduced heart disease and improved heart health markers like reduced cholesterol and improved blood pressure, along with favorable impacts on blood sugar control . However, this research is very limited and far from conclusive.
The nutrition benefits of paleo may support a healthy lifestyle and weight loss.
You May Like: Anti Inflammatory Plant Based Diet
How To Read Food Labels & What To Avoid
Read all labels and reject these items, which are not acceptable for a paleo diet:
- Artificial Chemical Sweeteners: Acesulfame potassium, aspartame, cyclamate, saccharin, sucralose
- Dairy: Most dairy products, especially those labelled low-fat
- Grains: Rye, barley, wheat, spelt, bread and pasta
- Processed Foods: Highly processed Diet foods and ready meals plus all food/drink labelled low-fat
- Legumes: Also called pulses these include dried beans, lentils, chickpeas etc.
- Sugar & High Fructose Corn Syrup: White and brown sugar, candy, pastries and cakes from bakeries, ice-cream, sodas and fruit juice
- Trans-Fats: Look-out for hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated oils, in margarines and processed foods
- Vegetable Oils: Canola, corn, cotton-seed, grape-seed, peanut, rape-seed, safflower, soybean, sunflower, rice-bran
Enjoy 100% cocoa made with water in your weight-loss diet
Water is the best choice drink tap-water if it is safe for home consumption in your area. Coffee, pure 100% cocoa and teas are healthy hot drinks you can add to an otherwise paleolithic diet plan. Be careful not to take more than one cup of green tea per day, as it is full of caffeine and in excess causes dehydration. Red wine and 70% cocoa dark chocolate are both full of nutrients and anti-oxidants, so enjoy them in moderation.
Foods To Avoid On The Paleo Diet
Avoid these foods and ingredients:
- Sugar and high-fructose corn syrup: Soft drinks, fruit juices, table sugar, candy, pastries, ice cream and many others.
- Grains: Includes breads and
- Lunch: Sandwich in a lettuce leaf, with meat and fresh vegetables.
- Dinner: Grilled chicken wings with vegetables and salsa.
There is usually no need to track calories or macronutrients on the paleo diet, at least not in the beginning.
However, if you need to lose a lot of weight, it is a good idea to cut carbs somewhat and limit your intake high-fat foods, such as nuts.
If you want more examples of easy paleo meals, read this article: 20 Paleo Work-Friendly Lunch Recipes.
Summary You can make a variety of delicious meals using paleo-friendly foods. Above is a sample menu of what one week on the paleo diet might look like.
Don’t Miss: Physicians Elemental Diet Dextrose Free
How To Go Paleo
Going Paleo sure sounds easy enough.
Eat simple foods. Check. Nothing processed. Check.
There is nothing too crazy about that. Besides, who doesnt want to eliminate processed foods from their diet anyway?
But like anything, it takes a true commitment to eat like fellow Paleo eaters.
And it sure isnt as easy as cavemen once had it. For cavemen, if they couldnt hunt it or gather it, they couldnt eat it. And that made it easy for them.
We face a lot more temptations in these modern days with access to a wider variety of foods.
Today, the only hunting we ever have to do for food is for deals and discounts for grocery items at the store!
Adjusting Recipes Based On Your Nutrition Goals
Now that you know how many calories you need each day, you may find that the calories for the recipes below may either be too low or too high.
If you need to increase your calorie intake all you need to do is multiple the portions to match your calorie needs.
For example, if you need 1800 calories per day, youll need to increase portions by a factor of 1.28 . Just multiply all ingredients by a factor of 1.28 and your set! If you consume a 2,000 calorie diet, then simply multiply by 1.43 .
Lastly, if you require extra calories, this meal plan also has really fun and exciting paleo snack options to help you bridge any gaps in your nutrition, all while keeping your food exciting and delicious .
Let’s get to it.
Read Also: 1 1 Diet By Cambridge Weight Plan
One Week Sample Paleo Diet Menu
This sample menu contains a balanced, paleo diet. By all means, alter this plan based on your preferences.
Paleo diet plan Coconut oil
Breakfast: Eggs and vegetables cooked in coconut oil and a piece of fruit.
Lunch: Chicken salad with olive oil and a handful of nuts.
Dinner: Burgers cooked in butter, salsa, and vegetables.
Breakfast: Bacon, eggs, and a piece of fruit.
Lunch: Leftover burgers.
Dinner: Salmon fried in butter, with vegetables.
Paleo diet plan Fried bacon and vegetables
Breakfast: Meat and vegetables.
Lunch: Lettuce leaf sandwich, meat, and fresh vegetables.
Dinner: Ground beef, vegetables and berries.
Paleo diet plan Eggs and fruit
Breakfast: Eggs and fruit.
Lunch: Leftover ground beef and vegetables and nuts.
Dinner: Fried pork and vegetables.
Paleo diet plan Chicken salad
Breakfast: Eggs and vegetables cooked in coconut oil.
Lunch: Chicken salad, olive oil, and nuts.
Dinner: Steak, vegetables, and sweet potatoes.
Paleo diet plan Baked salmon
Breakfast: Bacon, eggs, and fruit.
Lunch: Leftover steak and vegetables.
Dinner: Baked salmon, vegetables, and avocado.
Paleo diet plan Grilled chicken wings
Breakfast: Leftover meat and vegetables.
Lunch: Lettuce leaf sandwich, meat, and vegetables.
Dinner: Grilled chicken wings, vegetables, and salsa.
When on the paleo diet, you dont have you track your calorie consumption rate.
Detailed Paleo Diet Food List
- Eggs Free-range, pastured or omega-3 enriched
- Fish & Seafood Cod, haddock, tuna, salmon, trout, prawns and shell-fish
- Fruit All fruits are acceptable
- Healthy Fat & Oil Lard, tallow, coconut-oil, olive-oil, avocado-oil
- Meats Beef, chicken, goat, pork, lamb, turkey and game birds e.g. pheasant, grouse
- Natural sweeteners Stevia, xylitol and yacon syrup
- Nuts and Seeds Almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts, macadamia nuts, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds
- Salad foods Lettuce, tomato, radish, cress, salad leaves etc.
- Salt & Spices Sea-salt, Himalayan salt, garlic and herbs e.g. sage, mint, rosemary, turmeric, cumin
- Saturated fat & oil Butter, coconut-oil, lard, tallow and olive
- Root vegetables Potato, sweet-potato, turnip, parsnip, yam etc.
- Vegetables Broccoli, Brussel-sprouts, cabbage, carrot, courgette, egg-plant, kale, bell-peppers, hot-peppers, onions, spinach, kale etc.
Also Check: Diet Recommended For Cholesterol Management
What Is Paleo Diet Plan
Paleo diet plan is patterned after what our hunter-gatherer ancestors did.
Although its somewhat impossible to know precisely what our ancestors ate in different locations around the world, researchers think that their diets consisted mainly of whole foods.
This diet is based on the premise that our hunter-gatherer ancestors by eating a whole-food-based diet and leading physically active lives had much lower rates of diseases such as heart diseases, diabetes, and obesity.
Therefore, this diet can lead to significant weight loss and significant improvements in our health.
This post explains how the paleo diet plan works, and it includes essential information, including a sample meal plan.
A Few Kind Wordsfrom Our Lovely Clients
- “Amanda helped to fine tune my diet in a highly customised way. Her ongoing support and advice have been so helpful in keeping me motivated and I really enjoy her open-minded approach to nutrition and health. I would recommend Amanda to anyone wanting to develop the tools to feel better in their everyday lives.”Tamzyn
- “Amanda has assisted me to manage my autoimmune condition and improve my energy levels and vitality. She has increased my understanding of my health and provided advice to support my diet. I would recommend Amanda to all my friends and family!”Katrina
- “Thank you Amanda for your help with my chronic health issues. Thanks to your professionalism and personal attention, I reached my goals of weight loss and more vitality! I would thoroughly recommend your services.”Chris
- “Amanda’s extensive knowledge and holistic approach aided in improving my digestion, skin, mood, energy and stress levels. I highly recommend Amanda to anyone wanting to better their state of health and wellbeing.”Olivia
Don’t Miss: Cabbage Soup Diet Weight Loss
How To Make Restaurant Meals Paleo
It is fairly easy to make most restaurant meals paleo-friendly.
Here are some simple guidelines:
Summary Eatingout while following the paleo diet doesnt have to be hard. Simply select ameat or fish dish on the menu and swap in some extra veggies.
What Kind Of Foods Can You Eat With A Flexitarian Diet
No specific foods are off-limits with a flexitarian diet. Most flexitarians focus on healthy, lean meats when they do consume meat. Chicken, turkey, fish, and lean cuts of beef are much more common for flexitarians than pork and fatty cuts of beef, but anything goes.
The point is not to eliminate any foods from your life. Instead, a flexitarian diet highlights moderation.
Read Also: Who Has Diet Dr Pepper On Sale This Week
Paleo Meal Plan Week 1
A Paleo Meal Plan complete with six dinner recipes and one dessert PLUS a printable grocery list to make meal prep easy for the week. This meal plan features seasonal ingredients and includes whole30 and low-carb / keto options.
If youve followed along for a while, you know Ive been posting Vegetarian Meal Plans every Saturday for quite a long time.
Well, Im so psyched to introduce you to a brand new meal plan that has been a long-time coming!